Sunday, August 5, 2007

Tanul Neo-Patwa di Toki po Sempela Din, Nampela Din

Kini di Kalim

Mi mau ...

I want ...

Yu tene ..., ma?

Do you have ... ?

Minta dena mi ...

Please give me ...

Mi sabe kini ... anda kelado?

Where can I buy ... ?

Mi suka ...

I like ...

Mi mau kini ...

I want to buy ...

Cepela/Napela sta kemuito?

How much is this/that?

Kemuito?

How much?


With this lesson you should go through the Neo-Patwa dictionary and find words that interest you. Find things to insert into the '...' parts of the phrases. You can also negate things by inserting 'no' before the verb, so you can say, for example, 'Mi no suka ...' (I don't like ...).

Also, it is acceptable to use a proper noun with a class suffix. 'I like Guinness Stout' could be 'Mi suka Guinness-biya'. 'Where can I buy a Rottweiler?' would be 'Mi sabe kini Rottweiler-ulu anda kelado?'

2 comments:

Jens said...

Hi,

Thanks for all the work. I have a comment on one phrase, "Can I have..." I think that is an idiomatic English expression. I think in Neo Patwa we would be better off saying, "Minta dena mi..." "Please give me". Or maybe "Minta ..." would be sufficient.

-Jens

Jack Parsons said...

Yes, 'Can I have...', is an English phrase that doesn't translate well into other languages. I was looking for a more polite version of 'I want...' without getting too wordy.

Thanks.